• Indian opener Smriti Mandhana named the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year for the second time.
• Recipients of Padma awards announced on the eve of Republic Day.
• Delhi recorded coldest January day in nine years, with maximum temperature plunging 10 degrees below normal.
• Dalit bridegroom’s home attacked by residents in Madhya Pradesh’s Sagar district after he took out wedding procession. Dilip Ahirwar was perhaps the first Dalit man from his area, about 150 km from capital Bhopal, to ride a horse to his wedding.
• Protests erupt in Bihar over alleged irregularities in the Railway Recruitment Board’s examination procedure.
• Air India officially handed over to TATA Group.
• Missing Arunachal boy handed over to Indian Army by China’s People’s Liberation Army.
• Dr. V. Anantha Nageswaran appointed new Chief Economic Advisor.
• Indian hockey team beat China to win Bronze at Women’s Asia Cup.
• Rafael Nadal wins Australian Open, becomes first man to win 21 tennis grand slams titles.