• 12 people killed in stampede at Shri Mata Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu and Kashmir.
• Shillong Chamber Choir founder and noted music composer Neil Nongkynrih (image below) dies in Mumbai.
• Tamil Nadu government postpones all events for ‘Pongal’ harvest celebration.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s convoy gets stuck on its way to Hussainiwalla village in Punjab as protestors blocked highway.
• Sidney Poitier, the first Black man to win an Oscar for Best Actor, dies at the age of 94.
• Supreme Court, in interim order, allows resumption of NEET-PG counselling as per notified criteria for year 2021-22, upholds validity of OBC, EWS quotas.
• Calcutta High Court allows holding of Gangasagar Mela from Jan 8 following Covid restrictions.
• Two brothers engrossed in playing popular online game PUBG on their mobile phones while sitting on a railway track, run over by a train in Rajasthan’s Alwar district.
• Assembly Elections announced for 403 assembly seats in UP, 117 in Punjab, 70 in Uttarakhand 60 in Manipur and 40 in Goa.
• Creator of ‘Sulli Deals’ app dodgy app that listed Muslim women for auction, arrested from Indore in Madhya Pradesh.